ALL ABOUT TRIPS
Camp Burgess & Hayward Adventure Trips offers 1 and 2 week trips during the summer months for youth ages 12-17. We offer many different trips with a variety of focuses, ranging from surfing to scuba diving to chilling on Cape Cod. You can choose the trip with activities that interest you the most! Regardless of the specific focus of the trip, all of our trips have a lot in common. Most importantly, all of our trips offer participants the opportunity the step outside their comfort zones, gain confidence, and make lifelong friendships in a caring and supportive environment.
- Our adventure trips each run for one or two weeks, but most participants choose to link trips together to create a longer experience with our Mini-Adventure Weekend add-on option.
- We offer 3 different trips every week of the summer, and trip offerings vary week to week, allowing campers to choose a variety of adventures if they want to attend Adventure Trips for several weeks.
- All programs are co‐ed and open to youth ages 12-17.
- We offer small group sizes. Each trip will have a female and a male trip leader, along with 8-12 participants.
- We cannot guarantee either a 50/50 male/female split or the ages of other participants. We normally have a good mix, but we will contact you if we feel that there is an extreme imbalance.
- Our mature, experienced and highly trained staff lead with a focus on safety.
- We provide a safe environment that allows everyone to relax, be themselves, develop skills, and make new friends.
WHAT IS BASE CAMP?
Base Camp is our home for summer adventure trips and is tucked away in its own separate nook of Camp Burgess. Most programs spend the first and last night at Base Camp, whereas some spend all, depending on the trip schedule. Since Base Camp is located within Camp Burgess & Hayward, most of our trips have some integration with camp activities and utilize camp facilities at various points throughout their program.
- Large platform tents with cots and bunk beds
- A large pavilion, which serves as an outdoor kitchen, eating space and general common area. There are countertops, camp stoves, grills, and picnic tables
- A bathhouse, with separate male and female sections; each side has showers and toilets
- There are hammocks for lazing and a yurt for lounging. The yurt is a circular building with a domed roof, which we use as another common area–it contains couches, board games and cards, books and magazines, instruments, etc.
- A small herb garden and raised garden beds, where we harvest some of our produce for meals
- Individual campfire and outdoor games areas
Our groups decide together what meals they want to eat during their week. Participants will take an active role in shopping for ingredients, preparing and cooking meals. This is a fun and enriching part of the Adventure Trips experience. We encourage varied and healthy eating, and will often harvest fruits, vegetables and herbs from our Base Camp garden and neighboring Camp Burgess farm.