Summer 2022 FAQs


This is not something we have an answer on yet, but we will have a policy in place that requires campers and staff to prove that they are COVID free prior to coming to Camp. We will follow all State guidelines, which have not yet been released, and will provide updates as the summer approaches.

  • *Deposits ($150 per one-week session, $200 per two-week session) and Registration Fee ($45) are non-refundable and non-transferable under all circumstances. 
  • Cancel before May 1, 2022 – 100% program fees paid are refundable (less registration fee and non-refundable deposits).*
  • Cancel on or after May 1, 2022 – 50% program fees paid are refundable.*
  • Cancel within 14 days of program start date – No refund, except in the case of medical necessity (documentation must be provided). 
  • There is a $25 fee to change sessions subsequent to registering.

Yes, you do need to register online for summer 2022. Credits from summer 2021 give families priority access to registration, and a deposit will not be required for registering. However, you ARE NOT automatically registered. Please log on to your account to sign up for your session of choice.


General FAQs

When is check-in and check-out?

We thank you for arriving within the noted timeframes, as we are unable to accommodate early arrivals.

  • Camp Burgess for Boys & Camp Hayward for Girls
    • Check-in is on Sunday between 1:00-2:30pm
    • Check-out is on Friday between 2:00-3:30pm (for sessions 1,1a,1b,2, 3 & 5)
    • Check-out is on Friday between 11:30-1:00pm (for session 4 only)
  • Adventure Trips (check-in and check-out are at Base Camp)
    • Check-in is on Sunday between 1:00-2:00pm
    • Check-out is on Friday between 10:00-11:00am
How much do I need to pay to register?

Prior to May 1st: Deposits are $200 per two week Camp session, $150 for one week Camp sessions and Adventure Trips, plus a $45 registration fee (all non-refundable)
After May 1st:
Payment is due in full
Financial Assistance:
If you are applying for financial assistance you may register over the phone or by email with a $50 deposit

How many cabin or tent mate requests can I make per session?

We accept one cabin or tent mate request per camper, per session. This is done at the time of online registration, on the Participant Information Form.

What kind of background checks are done with staff members?

Every person we hire to work at our camp goes through an extensive background check that includes submission of a thorough application packet, interviews with the director, CORI and SORI background checks, and three separate references.

What are the age requirements of your summer programs?
  • Program Participants
    • Camp Burgess & Hayward campers: 7-16 years old
    • Teen Adventure Trips participants: 12-17 years old
    • Counselor in Training (CIT) participants: 16 years old or entering 11th grade
  • Staff Positions
    • Junior Counselors: 17 years old or have completed the CIT program
    • Counselors: 18+ (mostly college students or high school seniors)
    • Resource Staff, Teen Adventure Trip Leaders & Outdoor Education Staff: 21+
Is there a visiting day?

Because our sessions are only 1 or 2 weeks long, there are no parent days or visiting days at our camp.

Can campers be picked up during the session?

We ask that you do not pick up any camper during a session, as it strongly impacts their and the other campers’ cabin or trip experience. We thank you in advance for selecting the correct session(s) for your summer schedule. Please contact the director of your child’s program immediately if you have an issue with any of the dates scheduled.

How do I keep in contact with my camper?

We encourage parents to send their campers snail mail, which is handed out every night after dinner. You can also email your camper on our website. These emails are printed out for campers after dinner. Phones and other electronic devices are not used by campers. Please leave these personal items at home.

Email a Camper

Do you offer financial assistance?

Yes, our Financial Assistance Application can be found on the Dates & Rates page of our website.

2022 Financial Assistance Application

What is your Federal Tax ID Number?


For general Camp inquiries, please email our Camp Directors at slynch@ssymca.org

For Adventure Trips inquiries, please email Adventure Trips Director Ben Martin at bmartin@ssymca.org

For financial assistance, balance inquiries and business operations, please email our office manager at camp@ssymca.org