COVID-19 Update, 5/28/2020

wpdev Fri 29, 2020

Dear Burgess & Hayward family,

Greetings from Camp. I hope this note finds you safe and well. I wanted to give you an update on where things currently stand with this upcoming summer at Camp.

Last Monday, Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced that Resident Camps were tentatively approved to open on June 29. We hope to open on that day, but given that we are still awaiting the specific State Camp guidelines, and in the spirit of ensuring that Camp is as safe as possible, we simply cannot confirm that start date at this time.

When we are able to open, and assuming that the CDC guidelines will be used as a baseline for the State, here are some of the changes that we expect to implement for this summer.

  • We will have sanitation stations across Camp to ensure easy access for all campers and staff.
  • We will ask all families to complete a health self-certification two weeks prior to camper’s arrival.
  • We will have a staggered check-in process which will include a medical check to monitor campers and staff coming into Camp.
  • We will have a much more detailed cleaning schedule for all areas of Camp.

The big thing we are waiting on from the State are the numbers. Specifically, how many camper are permitted in cabins and in the dining hall. Assuming again that the State uses the CDC guidelines that campers can be in “households” of ten and “cohorts” of fifty, we would likely have two separate mealtimes, smaller groups at campfires and other similar changes to programs.

I realize that this only answers a small part of the myriad of questions you might have. As soon as the guidelines are available and final decisions are made, I will send out another more detailed email. We will also be organizing a Zoom town hall meeting soon, where you can log in and ask any questions you may have.

Many of you have reached out to me to ask about the upcoming payment deadline next week. So that we can plan and officially begin to hire staff, we need to understand how many campers will be attending camp this summer. Therefore, our plan is to continue with a payment due date of June 1. Traditionally, fees are not refundable after this date, and deposits never are. However, recognizing that many of you still might be on the fence about this summer under the current circumstances, our payment process will be as follows:

  • If you cancel up to two weeks prior to your child’s session, all fees, including deposits will be refundable. This will give us enough time to call other families off the waiting list and put together our cabin groups. More importantly however, it will hopefully give you the time to decide whether Camp is the right choice for you this summer.

As always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Bruce Netherwood
Vice President of Camping Services
South Shore YMCA

Categories: Uncategorized